Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Goodbye Labs!

Dear my best friend Mr. Diary,

Today is 23rd of February.

And this week, is the last episode of our BSc practical on every Monday and Tuesday (a total of 450 hours in 3 years were long enough for us!). Lega. Alhamdulillah.

I ended up my last practical session today with the not-so-wonderful ferrocene thingy. Yesterday Dr. Errington helped us in almost every single step of the procedures - he couldn't put his trust on us to deal with dangerous pyrophoric chemicals like n-butyllithium otherwise teaching lab will be exploded! :D

We (my loyal lab partner Yeng and I) had survived in the lab for the whole year without the most important tool that every chemist should own one - the spatula - and we kept interrupting others did their experiment to borrow spatula each time! Well, borrowing from others is less harmful than using a plastic spoon, which melted readily when I used it to transfer [VO(salen)] compound! More lab criminals :D

End of practical sessions - 120 hours in Stage , 180 hours in Stage 2 and 150 hours in Stage 3, but sadly I still refused to adapt with the main chemistry culture - wearing safety glasses all the time in the lab - till today! Oh Dr. Hall please don't knock my head!

And this afternoon we said goodbye to Dr. Izod after finishing our last experiment - and also James, the most kind-hearted lab technician in the world - for his patience and kindness, helping us throughout these 3 years in teaching lab. We left James with a box of pandan chiffon cakes made by ketua rumah and an XL-size card as our warmest appreciation to him.

Goodbye everyone, and everything!
Will see all those machines and my smelly hazardous friends again by the time I'm doing my MSc in the future. InsyaAllah.

Well Mr. Diary,
experiences are the best teachers in life, right?

Ah, I know you'll always agree with me :D

OK. Now is the crucial time to focus (more!) on the massive battle at the end of this semester. May Allah help and guide these 3 stooges in these last few steps. Hope all of us will end up our BSc story with the honorable first class degree. Ameen.

Till then my dear Mr. Diary, take good care of yourself in my bookshelf! Be a good friend to other books ya! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment