Sunday, January 27, 2013

See, Bunsen Burner On My Songkok, Cikgu!

The first experiment for Form 4 Khawarizmi.
Their first ever Chemistry experiment.
To determine melting and freezing point of naphthalene.
I explained the procedures to them, clearly.
They made noise.
Whispered this and that to each other.
I showed them all the apparatus and the correct way of handling them.
Again, they made noise.
Punched here and there.
Rolled this and that.
Sniffed into naphthalene's container.
O very naughty kids!
I asked them to start the experiment.
As it was Friday morning.
When we hadn't too much time to play.
Again, they made noise.
I observed them one by one.
They kept shouting one another.
Sat on the lab cabinets.
And kept calling 'Cikgu!' millions of time.
But there, I could see something fishy.
Ya Allah!!
They lighted on the Bunsen burner.
And put it on their songkok.
"To made it a little bit higher, cikgu!
So that my naphthalene will melt faster than his!"
Heart attack.
I took his songkok, put the burner back on the table.
Then put the songkok back to where it should be - the head!

"What is it called, if we put something not at its own real place?"

"Zalim, cikgu!"

"What you should do then?"

"Ask for forgiveness from Bunsen burner and songkok cikgu!"

And I laughed heartily till tears ran down.
Kids, you never failed to amuse me.

"Get back to your place or I'll cancel this experiment at all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment